In 2004, I saw a gap in the market and decided to do something about it – so 4Cabling began.
I’ve always questioned the status quo – I need to understand the essence of things. As an observer, I had always watched the way my parents worked. Mum always worked from home helping dad run his small electricians business.
In 2000, I was at uni and HTML design was on offer – I took the course and went on to teach myself how to code. From my bedroom, I built the first online trade based website in Australia as an experiment. I used the platform to sell the spare electrical products lying around the garage. From there an opportunity was born and 4Cabling begun and over an 8 year period grew online revenues of $10 million.
Change keeps my brain keen, so I recently took the risk and sold 4Cabling to private equity investors.
Now, I’m un-cabled and using the sum of my experience, I am now the cofounder of a digital strategy and content consulting agency, The Content Folk.
Here’s something about my decade of making cables sexy.
The ability to gentrify an industry lies in the ability to connect with those on the periphery of it. On each side of every transaction is a person. The success of 4Cabling was as much to do with the people as the product and service.
My creativity, ability to think outside the box and analysis alongside my understanding of SEO, SEM, online marketing, eDMs, as well as the supply and demand side of ecommerce businesses have all played a part of my building successful digital strategies.
I’ve collected a few awards over the years:
- AFR Young Women to Watch 2013
- Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year 2013
- Smart Company ‘Top 10 Australian Entrepreneurs to Watch 2013
- Business Review Weekly ‘Fast 100’ 2012
- Deloitte ‘Technology Fast 500’ Asia Pacific Winner 2012/li>
- Deloitte ‘Technology Fast 50’ Australia Winner 2012
- BRW Fast 100 – 2012, 2013
- Australian Institute of Management Young Manager of the Year 2012
- Smart Company Hot 30 under 30 – 2011, 2012, 2013
- Under 30 Australian Anthill Winner – 2011, 2012
- Deloitte Tech Fast 50 2011
- Smart Company Smart 50 Awards 2011
- Startup Smart Awards Winner 2011
- Business Review Weekly Fast Starters 2010
Here’s a few random facts:
- Deaf in one ear
- Hate shoes
- 9 Letter word savant
- Huge Aerofile
When I’m not at work, you can find me walking. Everywhere.